Year upon year, guitarists around the world explore the compositions of Mario Castelnuovo-Tedesco and to bring them to life in new recordings. 2019 brought important monograph CDs by Angelo Marchese and Giacomo Palazzesi, the release of a pair of two exceptional recordings of the Guitar Quintet (one by Sharon Isbin and the Pacifica Quartet and the other by Jason Vieaux and the Escher Quartet), and many more.
In 2020 guitarists continued to interpret Castelnuovo-Tedesco’s masterworks on their latest recordings:
GUITAR CHAMBER MUSIC
- Giuseppe Buscemi and Gianni Bicchierini, the Antipodes Duo, perform the Fantasia for guitar and piano on Dances & Dreams: Dances, Fantasias, and Serenades for Guitar and Piano (Da Vinci Classics);
- Marisa Minder’s debut CD includes the Castelnuovo-Tedesco Guitar Quintet, performed with violinists Dmitry Smirnov and Yaryna Tyno; cellist Eléonore Willi, and violist Alexander Zemtsov (Naxos);
- Nicolò Spera and the St. Martin’s Chamber Choir capture the unique beauty of the Romancero Gitano on their CD, Music for Guitar and Choir (Brilliant Classics).
- Thiago Abdalla features selections from the rarely-heard Appunti on his CD, Chronographie (GTJ Music & Art)
- Antonio d’Alessandro includes the Tonadilla on the name of Andres Segovia (probably the best-known of the Greeting Cards) on his CD Capriccio Italico (DotGuitar)
- Bokyung Byun performs Escarraman on her eponymous CD;
- Nick Cutroneo includes the Capriccio Diabolico on his CD Emergence;
- Andrea Ferrario’s Amor Fati: 20th century Italian Guitar Music (Da Vinci Classics) includes selections from Los Caprichos de Goya and the Appunti;
- Alvaro Mendizabal’s CD, The Sleep of Reason: a Classical Guitar Story (Ars Produktion) features several of Los Caprichos de Goya;
- Ji Hyung Park’s CD in the Naxos Laureate Series includes the Sonata (Omaggio a Boccherini).
- Peter and Zoltan Katona, known as The Katona Twins, include several excerpts from Les Guitares Bien Temperées on their CD Hollywood & Swing (Solo Musica).
If we’ve somehow missed your recent recording project, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know about it.
Thank you to the artists, and happy new year to all!